I’ve finished two bamboo shawls for a commission that have now gone off on their merry way to Switzerland. It’s the first time I’ve used bamboo for both warp and weft and I had a few issues with the odd broken selvedge thread. For some reason, I never have any issues with the right side selvedge but my left side is always scruffier, to some degree or another. On this occasion it proved a bit worrying and like knitting with wool that’s about to run out, I find myself weaving faster when there’s an issue with something I’m concerned about as if getting to the end more quickly will help!
One shawl had a solid black warp and the other stripes as you can see above. As there were over 700 ends and I didn’t have any threading errors with the first warp (get me!!), I decided that rather than rethread and resley, I would try tying the new warp onto the old. Eek. Something new for me and thankfully it went ok as the bamboo is very slippy so easily untangled. I can see how using cotton, for example, would leave you with a hideous birds nest mess of yarn. I’m not sure it was much easier, more mindless for sure, but still needing 700+ knots and then the added angst of winding the warp from front to back, through the heddles with all those little bumpy knots waiting for you to look away so they can undo themselves, no thanks!
So I’ve started my next project, hold in mind I am itching to start a baby wrap, a doubleweave sample scarf, with a mere 650 ends of 20/2 mercerised cotton, or dental floss as it could also be known. It’s very pretty but, mercy, it’s dull. Bring on the next wrap!